The middle child wanted a Hermione costume for her magic themed school assembly. Naturally she decided to tell me this on Monday afternoon. The assembly was on Thursday.
I think we did okay though!
I was hoping to find a gold tie that I could add stripes to at the op shop but they had none, luckily I did find a gold pillowcase for $1 that I promptly cut up.
I used this Little Boys Tie pattern from The Purl Bee (although I do admit I did far less hand sewing than they did).
I cut out the pattern first, and then used masking tape to block out the gold stripes. Those red stripes are an entire little tube of crimson fabric paint from a box of paints I've had in the cupboard for ages. I almost didn't have enough to do the whole tie, so that's why there are a couple of patches where it's a bit light on.
these brilliant instructions. It turned out really well, although there are a couple of spots with dodgy paint. It's a bit of a dodgy brown because I didn't have any brown paint. I had to mix it up using a combination of red, yellow and lavender.. Plus I was trying to do it in a hurry late at night, so didn't wait for each coat of paint to completely dry before I did the next one. It turns out that not quite dry paint rubs off. Crazy! ;)
All up, I spent $4. Not bad.
If she'd given me more time I would have sewed a robe too!